It's always nice to save some money by doing household maintenance yourself. While there are plenty of tasks suited for DIY jobs, cleaning your gutters is something that should always be left to professionals. Keep reading to learn more about the dangers associated with DIY gutter cleaning.
Common Injuries Related to DIY Gutter Cleaning
Most people assume that the most common injuries related to DIY gutter cleaning has to do with falling off the roof. While this is certainly a possible scenario, it's not the only danger faced. Below are examples of other issues that occur when do-it-yourself homeowners attempt to do a job they're not qualified to do:
- Falling off ladders: According to the Industrial Safety & Hygiene News, there are 500,000 ladder falls each year with 90% of those falls occurring at homes and farms. Don't become a statistic!
- Vertigo issues: Whether you're afraid of heights or not doesn't have one thing to do with vertigo problems. People who don't seem to have an aversion to heights can still experience vertigo and stumble while on the roof.
- Injuries caused by coming into contact with electrical components: There could be wires on the roof or overhead electrical wires that pose a threat to your safety.
- Clothing gets caught on edges: If you're not wearing the proper clothing, you could get hung up on the gutters and get injured.
- Sharp edges: Aluminum gutters have sharp edges and present potential hazards for DIYers.
Now that you know the possible dangers of cleaning our own gutters, it's time to learn more about the benefits of professional gutter cleaning.
The Benefits of Professional Gutter Cleaning
First and foremost, the greatest benefit to you is you won't be putting your safety at risk. A fall from a one-story home might not seem like a big deal, but if you have a two-story house or a roof with numerous peaks, always leave the cleaning to professionals with safety equipment.
Peace of mind is another benefit. You know the job has been done well by people who do these types of jobs all day, every day. You don't have to worry about the job being half done. Additionally, when professionals clean your gutters, they stay alert for possible problems that could affect your roof.
Yes, you heard that right. Your home's gutters are part of the roofing system. If it's been a while since you've had your gutters cleaned, it's possible that the weight from water and debris could have reattached the gutters from the roof. This problem isn't always apparent to the untrained eye, but it's something that needs to be addressed to prevent additional damage to the roof.
Has Your Roof Been Damaged?
If your roof has been damaged due to gutter issues or another problem, you need professional roofing services. Hiring licensed and bonded roofing contractors ensures any job done is done safely and according to industry standards. For homeowners who live in Northern Georgia and need roofing or guttering services, contact Findlay Roofing at (770) 516-5806.